Older people in Walsall will soon be enjoying sweet silver dreams thanks to an exciting new scheme at the Manor Farm Community Association in Rushall, near Walsall in the West Midlands. We have been selected as one of a small number of voluntary organisations across the UK in providing a specialised service that really improves the lives of vulnerable older people in our borough. Healthy meal deals, a volunteer community watch service and transport scheme to essential services are all on the agenda of our registered charity.
The ‘Silver Scheme’ is funded through the Big Lottery ‘Silver Dream’ fund and in partnership with the Daily Mail. The Manor Farm project will be launched in January 2013 and will be truly inspirational and innovative. It will be dedicated to providing solutions to the needs of older people in Walsall that range from home care and maintenance to a 24 hour helpline – just for people aged over 50 years of age and who feel vulnerable and in need of support in their own community.
The Walsall ‘Silver Scheme’ will offer:
- Community advocates to support older people with advice and guidance at the first signs of social, emotional, mental or physical health issues causing distress and isolation
- A dedicated 24 hour – 365 day free telephone helpline for senior citizens to access immediate support through confidential, non-judgemental and professional support
- Home-care domestic maintenance, emergency repairs, home assistance and healthy meals service for older people to prevent risk of injury in the home
- Intensive ‘one-to-one’ mentoring support for older people bordering a critical need and referred through social care units and partner agencies
- Volunteering and mentor support courses of skills and techniques that ensure ‘Silver Scheme’ strategies improves health, well-being and lifestyles of older people in Walsall
- A ‘Silver Surf’ website of relevant information, services and opportunities that focus on issues for older people with all our ICT facilities, coaching and support
- A ‘Silver Support Directory’ – free distribution of relevant resources and large print contact support directory signposting older people to specialist support currently available in Walsall
- The ‘Silver Wheels’ transport scheme solely for older people with drivers of senior citizen age and community ‘Silver Watch’ on homes and welfare of older people in Walsall
The success of ‘Silver Scheme’ relies on the many volunteers who want to see services for older people improve.
‘Creating a network of volunteers who know where help is needed the most is vital to our success,’ believes Gary Bird CEO at Manor Farm. ‘The scheme will have a lasting effect on how we help people and we are really grateful to the Big Lottery and the Daily Mail in having faith in our community association.’
Manor Farm will harness the enthusiasm of older people to shape and grow the ‘Silver Scheme’ and offer support throughout 2013 and beyond. This exciting Walsall project will walk with older people whilst they overcome their difficulties and put more emphasis on local community solutions that enable older people to help themselves and each other!